Tree of Life

Monday, June 6, 2011

I'm on a road trip to Napa and woke up to the most wonderful, lush green landscape I've seen in years. It's peaceful silence up here, and I'm reminded (quite regretfully) that I fill my days and moments with too much noise. My daughter and I took a long walk down a dirt road in the crisp morning light and laughed at each other as our shivering bodies (exhilarated by the cold and fresh air) skipped and hopped and explored. 
Ironically over mid-morning coffee, I found myself reading a favorite childhood story of mine called "The Giving Tree" by Shel Silverstein.  As a new mother, it now means something quite different to me.  Because now I get it. Where the act of giving is so beautiful, so completely overtaking, that you actually take bits of yourself apart, one by one, in gifted pieces for the love of another. (I think of the other book I'm currently engrossed in - Elizabeth Gilbert's "Committed" ~ but that's another blog, for another day.)
So for now I will just enjoy this moment in time... The whispering wind, gravel roads, the miles and miles of grapes... heaven for a day or two. 
{Photos by Moda Photography}


Have a beautiful week! xx