Memorial Day Treat ~ Banana Pineapple Cake

Sunday, May 26, 2013

Here's a sweet, little cake recipe for your long weekend! I know a lot of my desserts include banana, but I can't help it. Maybe it's coming from a family of seven (yes, seven) but I simply cannot waste food. And since we always have a bunch of bananas in the house, we always have extra, overripe ones too. I also happened to have extra crushed pineapple left over from a kiddo treat I shared at Stella's school, so I wanted to use that up to! Presenting the super moist, super delicious...


Ingredients:

  • 3 cups sifted all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
  • 1 can (8 ounces) crushed pineapple, undrained
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
  • 3 eggs
  • 2 to 3 overripe bananas

Preparation:

In your mixer, sift together the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, sugar, and salt. Stir in the oil, pineapple, vanilla, eggs, and banana. Mix until well blended. Pour batter into a greased and floured pan. Bake at 350° for about 1 hour and 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
*This is a super simple recipe I found on a Southern Food website. If you google banana/pineapple cake, you'll find a ton of versions with this base. You can toss in nuts or coconut, omit the cinnamon and replace with nutmeg, endless options! I drizzled it with a quick and easy vanilla frosting recipe here. Happy Memorial Day! Enjoy! xx