The Best Chicken Nachos Recipe

Thursday, February 9, 2017

In truth, I probably write down these recipes just for myself. I can't tell you how many times I go back to reference my own blog for something I like to keep track of here. (This tofu recipe is a staple in my house, and you'd think I'd have it memorized by now. At least I know this banana bread recipe by heart.)


We were invited to a Superbowl party last weekend and asked to bring something simple, like nachos.  I happily accepted thinking I would just toss some cheese and beans on some chips, make some fresh guacamole, and call it a day. But then I found this nacho recipe, and all bets were off. I decided to modify a bit and came up with this:

TD (Touchdown or Tanya Dempsey) 
Nachos 

Ingredients:
2-3 chicken breasts
2 cans black beans
1 can diced tomatoes with green chiles
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1 1/2 tsp garlic salt
1/2 tsp(or more to taste) cumin
Jar of pickled sweet jalepenos
Tortilla chips
Sour cream and guacamole

The only thing time consuming about this recipe is the chicken. But it cooks in a slow cooker, so it's basically the easiest thing in the world.

Throw 2-3 chicken breasts in the slow cooker with the can of diced tomatoes. I like to canned tomatoes that already have seasoning in them, green chiles added for this one is perfect. Add in cumin and garlic salt seasoning. Cook on low for 4-6 hours.

Once the chicken is cooked through, shred it up in the juices and set the chicken aside in a bowl. Reserve about 1/2 cup of the juices and mix in with both cans of beans. Simmer together on the stove for 5 min.

Preheat oven to 350.

Use a large cookie sheet to begin layering all the goodness. I used yellow-corn round tortilla chips because they hold the most stuff on each bite. (I'm hungry just thinking about it and wish we had leftovers.)

Layer chips, beans, shredded chicken, cheese, jalepenos. Repeat.

Bake at 350 for about 10-15 minutes until cheese is melted. 

Serve with fresh guacamole and sour cream. Yum!