Friendship Divorce

Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Unable to sleep, I find myself visiting sites I haven't visited in a while, reading articles I usually don't have time to read, and thinking thoughts I tend to stifle down deep, somewhere along side other "not-so-fuzzy" feelings.


So when I found this article in GOOP about "Friendship Divorce" ~ it really struck home. It's something that I've been dealing with (with one friend in particular) ever since I had my daughter. When is it OK to simply let a friendship go?


“What do you do when you realize that although you may have years of history, and found real value in each other in times past, that you kind of don't like a friend anymore? That, after time spent with this person, you feel drained, empty, belittled or insulted. My father always used to tell me that, ‘you can't make new old friends.’ How do you distinguish if someone in your life makes you change for the better or if you are better off without them?”

Gwyneth Paltrow via GOOP.

Isn't it refreshing to know that even the fabulous Miss Paltrow is having these kinds of problems? It's a lesson that every single one of us is, or has, from one time to another gone through this kind of pain.

An excerpt in reply from Elizabeth Mattis-Namgyel: We are all looking for well-being and happiness in life. So the purpose of friendship is to support and be supported in our search for well-being and happiness.

How simply stated and true. THAT is the purpose of friendship. To support and be supported.

Be kind to each other, ladies. Cherish your friendships. And if you're not being cherished back ~ time to let it go.

With love,

T xx

See full Friendship Divorce article via GOOP here.