Baked Tofu Tacos with Asian Salad & Rice

Wednesday, May 17, 2017

You guys, I know that the title of this blog post sounds like a super fancy dinner, but I promise you - it's not. It only tastes and looks that way. It's so incredibly easy and delicious that I'm going to start adding it into my regular rotation for family dinners!


If your family isn't into tofu, maybe this will persuade them. My coconut curry tofu recipe is still a favorite in my household and I've been told in some friends homes as well!

For starters, the salad is packaged. Yep. I'm not claiming to be a chef, only a busy working mom looking for complete meals for her fam. So go pick up an Asian salad kit from your local grocer. Mix it up. Done. Check.


The rice is whatever kind of rice you love and know how to easily make. For me, I always do 1 cup of jasmine rice sautéed in olive oil, 1 tsp garlic salt, a dash of onion powder and two cups of chicken or veggie broth. Cook stovetop on medium heat for 15 min. Simple and perfect.

Now for the BAKED TOFU (that tastes like fried tofu)... Let's get to that, shall we? Get one pound of extra firm tofu. I like the Trader Joe's kind. Drain the liquid and pat dry with a paper towel. Cut into squares.


Toss with olive oil.


(Make sure your children's hands are clean because they will want to touch everything and help you.)


In another bowl (or two) place the breadcrumbs.  Side note - when I first tried this recipe, I wasn't sure which variation my family would like best - actual breadcrumbs with seasoning (I used Lawry's), or the super simple version using just cornstarch. So I tried both.


After the tofu cubes are tossed in olive oil, simply toss them around in your breadcrumb of choice (or straight cornstarch for a simple "fried" effect) and place them on a cookie sheet.


Bake in the oven at 350 for 20 min. They'll come out looking like this... golden brown and delicious!




I serve like tacos on corn tortillas with rice on the side. The Asian salad acts as toppings or can be a side with the rice. Top with your favorite salsa.


The hubs and I loved the breadcrumbs version, while the kids preferred the simple cornstarch method that comes out tasting and looking like fried tofu without the frying! 

An entire dinner in no time. 

You're welcome!