This moves me

Saturday, March 9, 2013


Marina Abramovic and Ulay started an intense love story in the 70s, performing art out of the van they lived in. When they felt the relationship had run its course, they decided to walk the Great Wall of China, each from one end, meeting for one last big hug in the middle and never seeing each other again.

 

At her 2010 MoMa retrospective Marina performed ‘The Artist Is Present’ as part of the show, where she shared a minute of silence with each stranger who sat in front of her. Ulay arrived without her knowing and this is what happened.

{Source}

*Love doesn't die. We just keep growing. Sometimes with each other, sometimes without. 

6 comments:

  1. That is the sweetest thing! How unique!

    -Kirsten

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw this earlier today on Google +. I actually was frustrated not to hear any follow-up beyond that magical moment. I'm going to fall into a Google rabbit hole trying to find the answer. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, but I think that's the thing... it doesn't need more story, more explaining, more words. So much was said in those moments of silence between them. And I can't help but keep thinking about how wise they were beyond their years to say goodbye in such a beautiful way... to not let things get ugly at the end, to just say goodbye with love.

      Delete
  3. This is extraordinarily moving. I watched this wondering how I would react, and the willpower it would take not to rise from my seat. Wow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right? Just her reaching out to hold his hands was a big movement. I weeped.

      Delete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I love hearing from you guys! If you ask a question, I will be sure to respond back here. xx