Monday Makeover - Silver Nightstand DIY

Monday, April 29, 2013

There are so many things on my To Do list for our new home. And even more items we have to purchase! So I'm all about finding creative ways to make things work within a budget and I'm a sucker for antique and vintage, so this project was a no-brainer. 
This antique nightstand has been in my family for years. Since I was a kid, actually. It's been painted and repainted and repainted again so many times. Before it was this shabby chic white (during my single years) it was three different shades of blue. Before that, shades of orange and green. It's been through several bad coats, but the shape is lovely and the wood is solid, so I knew I could do something with it.
I found a simple and sleek gray nightstand for the hubs and wanted mine to co exist in the bedroom with his, without being matchy-matchy. So I decided on silver! I also decided to paint instead of spray paint, because I had a feeling I would be better at it.
But the only silver paint I could find was very light, and I wanted to add a bit more depth... make it silvery gray instead of platinum. So I added in a little Rust-Oleum black gloss paint at the suggestion of a very helpful Home Depot man. 
This was also the paint I used to bring new life to the handle, as I couldn't find anything modern that I liked as much as the original!

Here's how I did it:
1) Sand & wipe clean. 2) Paint with primer, let dry. 3) Test color on inside drawer. 4) Paint.

This was a long process, with a lot of sanding, priming, waiting and meticulous painting, but well worth it! I'm so happy with the results. 
Hope you found some DIY inspiration! xx