Simple, Healthy & Yummy Farro Recipe

Monday, April 28, 2014

When my husband and I met, he was working as a bartender for AOC, which he opened alongside renowned chef, Suzanne Goin. Admittedly, I wasn't much of a food or wine connoisseur at the time. Blame it on my twenties, if you must. (I even met the hubs while there on another date with another guy - but that's another story for another day.)

Over the years I've come to appreciate the finer things in life, such as good cuisine, very good wine, and a refined palate for the best kinds of men. Er, man. (Singular.)


This recipe is taken very loosely from Suzanne's farro & black rice recipe which I enjoyed often back in the day... Sitting on those bar stools becoming a passionate wine lover and passionately studying a very cute bartender. (Eventually I started to frequent sans dates, and the rest of that story is history.)

I tend to simplify most recipes when I can.  Call it laziness or lack of time, or desperation to get tiny ones to eat more than mac n' cheese. For this dish, I just try to emulate the flavors of warm earthiness from the farro, accompanied by the perfect thyme spice and the touch of sweetness that the cranberries bring.

Ingredients:
1 cup farro
(I like to use the easy 10 min farro)
2 cups chicken or veggie broth
1/2 cup diced onion
1/2 cup dried cranberries 
2 fresh or dried bay leaves 
1/3 cup toasted pine nuts
1 TBS thyme leaves
1-2 tsp parsley
2 TBS olive oil

Directions:
Heat olive oil in medium to large sauce pan and sauté the diced online, thyme, parsley and bay leaf together until the onion is translucent. Toss in the farro to coat with oil and spices and let it toast lightly. (Follow the recipe directions for the farro, I always use the easy 10 min farro, which is 1 cup, to 2 cup water or broth ratio.) Pour the broth in and bring to a boil. Cover and turn the heat down to simmer for 10 min (or longer if you're using traditional farro.) Meanwhile, place your pine nuts on a baking sheet and bake at 375 for 10 min. Drain any excess liquid from the farro and toss in the toasted pine nuts and cranberries.

Now enjoy with some very good wine. 

Cheers to refining our palates and not reliving our twenties! Yikes to those years. 

I love you, babe.