Gluten Free Banana Bread Muffins

Tuesday, June 10, 2014

I have a (super delicious) banana bread recipe that is a family (and friend!) favorite and in serious rotation in my house. I've made it so many times that I've memorized the ingredients and can practically make it with my eyes closed. If you haven't tried it - go here immediately and do so.


Recently I did a week long cleanse. No sugar, no alcohol, no carbs, no processed junk - just lean protein and vegetables. Let me tell you it was not easy, but it was one of the smartest things I've ever done. Once you get your body into a squeaky clean state, you can slowly add back foods, one-by-one, to see which are good for your body, and which are not. (More on that later.)


What I also realized is that while I'm all about splurging from time to time and love to bake, I needed a healthier, lighter version of my traditional banana bread. I found this recipe here (love & light to you, Jacqui) and modified it until it worked for me. I'm pretty sure I've perfected it. My babies loved them and I don't think they even noticed the difference other than the omission of their beloved chocolate chips.

Ingredients:
4 ripe bananas
2 eggs
1 cup coconut sugar
1/2 cup melted butter
1 tsp vanilla
3/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 cups gluten-free flour

To make this vegan, substitute apple sauce for eggs and Smart Balance or any other butter substitute in place of butter.

Bake at 350 for 12-15 min. 
Yields about 48 mini muffins - two tins of 24. Enjoy!