Lemon Cake Recipe

Saturday, April 28, 2018

I'm a serious citrus lover. Maybe it's because I'm allergic to so many other fruits, and since citrus is my friend, I'm always trying to find ways to incorporate it into recipes. (This allergy came later in life, oddly enough, and I did use to enjoy my homemade banana bread and strawberry cake very much. Le sigh...)


As I said in my Instagram post, my baby dude is the sweetest little guy ever and always picks flowers and lemons for me when he walks the dog with his daddy. It recently inspired me to bake a lemon cake when we were having friends over for a BBQ.



I found an awesome recipe here, which I adapted slightly, and it turned out so great that I had to share!

Lemon Cake 
with
Cream Cheese Butter Frosting 


Ingredients: 
2 cups baking flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 & 1/4 cup sugar
1 stick of butter (softened)
3 large eggs
1 cup cream or buttermilk 
(*See below on how to curdle your own milk)
Zest of one lemon
Juice of 1 large lemon



Directions: 
Preheat over to 350
Spray two 8-9 inch cake pans (I used coconut oil)
Combine Dry ingredients in a bowl, set aside.
Cream the butter, sugar and eggs together. 
Alternate adding in the flour mixture and buttermilk.
Lastly add lemon juice and zest. 

*To create your own buttermilk, add one tablespoon of lemon juice (how convenient for this recipe!) to one cup of milk. Stir and let it set for 5 minutes. It will thicken up right before your very eyes, like magic! 

Icing: 
3 cups powdered sugar
1/3 cup softened butter
4 oz - 8 oz cream cheese to taste
2 TBS lemon juice or more to taste
Fold softened butter into powdered sugar. Mix on low speed.
Add lemon juice and mix well. 
Add Cream cheese last, adding more powdered sugar if needed.
Sprinkle some leftover zest on top of the cake.
Voila! 


Hope you enjoy it as much as we did! 
Happy Spring! xx
SaveSave
SaveSave